This is the second version of the Iron Curtain, an LED array used in 4e.
- Reacts to music / beats
- Display arbitrary content (video from youtube, screen grab from a computer)
- Capable of creating new functions by combining previous ones (Functional programming style).
- Few dependencies / dependencies that are easy to install
- Modular (can change the protocol to control other types of LED screens, LED strips, increase the number of strips being controlled, add plugins, etc)
- Mostly in a single language
- Provides an API to change parts of the program to run in different languages if useful.
- Ideally, communication through UDP / WebRTC; if TCP is fast enough, then, simply use TCP if it is easier.
- Should run on Linux, Windows and Mac
- Possible Bemix integration
- Very light (<40 pounds)
- Small number of components;
- The more expensive hardware has to be easily replaceable
- Can be used without internet connection, by connecting the device directly to a computer
- Can be used through WiFi.
The 1e disco floor has a software that reacts to music and new functions can be created in a functional way https://github.com/FirstEast/1e-Disco.
I (Ivan) haven't managed to run it to test. It depends on a some python network libraries that failed to work on my computer. It has the problem that it depends on a server to run at the moment.
The 3e lights control https://github.com/ervanalb/beat-off. It is a really neat and modular control for LEDs. The tricky part is that it can only output the control to the LEDs using the LUX protocol https://github.com/ervanalb/lux, which is a protocol for power and data. It has the advantage of allowing controlling the LEDs in a very cheap way, but it seems harder to implement. The communication uses TCP instead of UDP, which might cause problems when controlling over wifi.
- 30 x 2m WS2812B strips
- Raspberry pi Model 1
- Discarded Computer power supplies
Twin wall plastic http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-48-in-x-96-in-x-0-157-in-White-Twin-Wall-Plastic-Sheet-1TW4896C/205828967 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Underlayment-Common-7-32-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-0-196-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-431178/203183010